Friday, October 21, 2005

One Hundred Deeds

I feel too distanced from Heaven to really talk about anything, but I feel bound by duty to talk about something.

I can say that reading the Book of Mormon has thus far produced one main motif that branches off into three. The main theme is "Obey God's commandments". Then you get

1. "Inasmuch as ye keep my commandments, ye will prosper in the land..." which implies

2. The future destruction of America as outlined in Isaiah.

And then there's the means for which to obey commandments:

3. Service and good works are the ways to prove yourself and your repentance to God.

The third one applies to me right now in my life the most. I never thought that the whole "One Hundred Deeds For Eddie McDough" idea was a gospel principle. But apparently it is a very important part of the conversion/repentance process--though it cannot and should not replace repentance and faith itself.

And of course, there's always my biggest nightmare: the second theme which will inevitably occur because of number one. It's so scary...especially when Isaiah talks about it...

On a happier note, my friend Brett from EFY sent his mission papers in. Here's his photograph (he's rather lacking in height...he is the coolest...gosh, I miss 'em...):


(Must click for better resolution.)

2 Comments:

Blogger miss terri said...

i'm rather lacking in height! we should be friends. the themes that i've gotten are patience, humility, charity, faith, hope, and the power that a person has, both for good and evil. that's why it's impertinant to BE GOOD!

Friday, October 21, 2005 9:45:00 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

It's interesting to see what themes different people find. It's very revealing. Yes, I can see how that is your nightmare. You've talked about such things the whole time I've known you...

Monday, October 24, 2005 1:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home