Thursday, August 04, 2005

"All That Was Sacred To Us"

I was fasting yesterday for Heavenly Father to please tell me what I could to to remove this darkness from my heart and what it would take for the Savior to cast it out.

I was inspired by His Spirit. While I was at work, a Fazoli's resteraunt, I was struck with a hunger for some food and when I rejected it I suddenly realized what it was that I had to do all this time. It was the exact same thing I realized when I was fasting for my friend Matt Call.

When one goes on a fast, one doesn't become immune to hunger. You still get pangs from your stomach to eat. What makes the difference is that when your stomach says,
"Hot fudge, hot fudge!" you say, "No. I am doing something bigger and more noble than that."

When I was fasting for Matt and my inner self said, "Eat some breadsticks, they're so fresh and golden!" I said in reply, "No. I am doing something for Matt. And that is much more important."

When one becomes born again/recieves the mighty change/comes unto Christ, one doesn't become immune to temptation. You still get pangs from your flesh and darkness. What makes the difference is that when the dark in your heart says, "Sin!" you say, "No. I am a child of God, and I am bigger and more noble than that."

When my carnal self says, "It's too late to go back/I am much too strong for you to resist/Submit to me and give it all up for me" I must learn to reply (and mean it) "No. My heart doesn't belong to you. It belongs to Christ. I am His. And that is much more important."

There's still time
All that was devastated can be recreated...

-Creed, "Who's Got My Back Now?"

8 Comments:

Blogger Mavis Fausker said...

I love epiphanies.

Friday, August 05, 2005 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger miss terri said...

me too. i think that the coolest ones that i have are during science and math though oddly enough, but i'm just weird that way. i had a visual one yesterday and HAD to be outside. it was like being it the bestest gallery ever. i HAD to touch Everything: the grass, the dirt, the moss, the leaves on the trees, the bark,... i stared at the clouds for forever. then i went back inside and everything was so bland. everything was a solid color and the texture of it was so... bleh. just like that. :) man's creations have NOTHING AT ALL in comparison to God's creation. and to think that man is his greatest glory. i'm not sure if that's depressing or not, but it gave me a new respect for people. even the nasty gremins that turn up in random classes and just pick their noses, etc. that doesn't happen so often. Heavenly Father's my FAVORITE! :)

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog fascinates me, but I feel uncomfortably voyeuristic reading it.

I keep thinking of the scene at the end of 'Constantine' where it's revealed that the angel Gabriel was behind all the mischief because she didn't think humanity was worthy of God's grace. Her speech on how fallen humanity is, and how easy it is for humans to gain God's grace is strangely touching.

Saturday, August 06, 2005 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

"Voyeuristic"? I sure hope that you mistyped that word... If not, then that's kinda creepy.

Saturday, August 06, 2005 4:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Voyeuristic" only in the sense of reading about something deeply personal that's none of my business. I didn't mean any other connotation, and I hope no one else took it that way.

Saturday, August 06, 2005 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Okay, that just makes me sound perverted. I swear I'm not... I'm just an English person.

Saturday, August 06, 2005 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

English, as in the language. Not nationality. *Sigh...* At least I was. Now it seems like everything I say comes out in the wrong way.

Sunday, August 07, 2005 8:53:00 PM  
Blogger miss terri said...

it's okay. i feel the same way and english is my primary language. though i do like the English a lot.

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home