Friday, October 28, 2005

Get Back in the Circle

My relationship with the Heavens lately hasn’t really been as good as it should be. I feel like even though I’ve come to a strong resolve each time I still decide to submit to the darkness. And each time is an “I’m so sorry”, and I’m more than positive that Heavenly Father is getting weary of hearing that.

It’s like I said to Amicus. I really am Cloud: I am the failure, the one that didn’t work. Peter, out in the ocean when the Savior walked. Even as Christ pulls me up, I slap at His gentle hand and tell Him that I like the water better. Then I change my mind after a while and ask Him to get me, ashamed of myself. As He pulls me up, I slap at Him again. And this happens over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over….

The soldiers who crucified the Savior? What if one of them knew exactly what he was doing? Well…I do…….I do……………

I tried to convince my friend Michael about this yesterday. That literally I refused to change, and there was no hope whatsoever.

He started telling me a story about a teacher who once played a game in which he stood in a circle by himself as students took turns running from the other side of the room into his chest, ramming him out of the circle. Each time he got knocked out, he would get back in and challenge more. Two particular students took things too far and rammed him into the wall. He was seeing stars, and the whole class was dead silent. And still, the teacher got back in the circle and weakly dared again.

“Look Marcus,” said Michael, “you say that you don’t deserve it. And I guess you’re right. You don’t deserve someone who loves you so much that they actually come down and die for you. Yeah, you don’t. But He saved you anyway. Do you get that? It’s done. It’s over. He saved you already—it’s a done deal.” Then he got very serious. I’ve never seen him quite like this. “He saw you, Marcus. He saw you in Gethsemane. And through all the pain, and all the suffering He had for your sins, it was you. That’s what got Him through it. When He saw you He said, ‘Yes, I will.’ Because you are worth it.”

I wish I was.

He continued about the teacher learning something that day of the game. "That is was so important to realize this: The one difference between President Gordon B. Hinckley and someone who won't make it to the celestial kingdom...is that every time he got knocked out, he stepped back in. So..."

"....get back in the circle," I finished.

He smiled. "Exactly."

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

See ya there, I hope!

Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:50:00 PM  
Blogger miss terri said...

good luck. we'll be there to help pull you back in if you want us to.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 5:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mavis Fausker said...

It reminds me of the olive tree allegory. Even when the vineyard was bearing bad fruit throughout, the master knew that there was still good, and labored for a long time to make the fruit good again. Apply it on a micro scale, instead of the macro, and it can apply to individuals as well as nations.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home