Saturday, July 09, 2005

Departures

My sister told me a couple of days ago that a 16 year-old from Orem had just died while at Lake Powell. Since my friend Trevor Newsom (who I previously called Dan) is at Lake Powell we were concerned that it was him.

I just didn't think it was him. I got this feeling that it wasn't him, but it was someone I knew. I didn't think much of it until today when I was IMing Richard and I thought of asking him. Apparently it was indeed someone I knew. His name is Chase Jesperson. I never really talked to him, but I saw him all the time and he was close friends with my sister as well as a childhood friend of mine. He was in a couple of Richard's classes.

I never knew him for real, but I actually hope that he's okay and that he was all right. His death has really impacted me in ways that I can't talk about here.

I realized that so many people I know seem to be leaving. And that's not just Harry, I'm talking about passing away. Like Owen Cherrington, a man in my neighborhood who got cancer. Also my drama teacher at Orem High, Syd Riggs. I loved her very much. Now this guy who I'm really wishing I knew better named Chase. And also my friend's uncle, Gary, passed away recently.

I asked Richard almost depressed, "Why are so many people leaving?" Then I had to leave to get in the shower, but my sister told me that while I was in the shower Richard answered just before he himself left.

He said, "I don't know. Maybe something really big is happening and they need a lot of people to teach."

Richard was referring of course to the Mormon doctrine that we continue living in the next life, in a different world. Those who knew the truth and had the gospel serve as missionaries in the other world. It's a belief, though not confirmed doctrine, that some people die at early ages because they are called to be missionaries to those in the next world who died without a knowledge of the truth.

Maybe he's right. Something I thought of is maybe something big is about to happen down here. What gives me comfort about Chase is that obviously whatever his mission is, he completed it. And now he's needed there for somebody. That sounds really cool to think about, but it makes you miss them all the more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

Some things you cannot be told, but there are things you would think differently of who my uncle was. He was a different man. That didn't make much sense, but that's unimportant.

Monday, July 18, 2005 11:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home