Monday, July 11, 2005

Road to Dawn

As said in "Blue and Yellow", the Rainmaker is back for the next little while. I hope I can stay strong enough. My King promised me he'd never leave me, and I believe him.

I promised on "Wicker Poet" I'd talk about the Ansem demon and it's future. Well, it's all just like Riku at the end of Reverse/Rebirth.

Ansem was dead long before because Sora killed him. However his shadow remained left behind in Riku's heart after Riku played the host for him and went evil. After Riku turned good again with some help from King Mickey, Ansem's shadow lingered in his heart, slowly growing power.

Riku was given many choices throughout the game by whom some consider to be his conscience, a mysterious red-bandaged enigma named DiZ. One of these choices was whether Riku would decide to lock up the darkness in his heart so Ansem would never get out, and at the expense lose most of his memories. Or he could continue the hell he was living.

Riku chose a different option: he decided to just finish off Ansem once and for all. Even if that meant that he might lose and slip into playing "host" again, in which case he made King Mickey promise to destroy him. Of course, Mickey never doubts him and believes in Riku's strength.

Riku won the battle against Ansem. As it turns out, Ansem's shadow was simply a manifestaion of the darkness in his heart. Some of Ansem's shadow still faintly left behind. However, now there's much more light in Riku's heart than darkness.

At the end, Riku's walking down a dusty road at night with King Mickey. He comes to an intersection where DiZ is waiting for them. For this last choice, DiZ points to the left and right roads. He asks Riku, "Will you take the road to light, or the road to darkness?" Mickey exclaims neither as Riku walks forward. He keeps going with Mickey and says to DiZ behind him, "I'm taking the middle road." It's the one right in between the two.

DiZ muses aloud as he asks, "You mean the twilight road to nightfall?" Riku turns, a glow emitting from the hills ahead.

"No," he says. "The road to dawn."

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

I hope that you stay for more than just a little while... I'd like to get a chance to see you, if you know what I mean...

Monday, July 11, 2005 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Marcus, I'd like to thank you for what you wrote. It really helped me get through last night.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 2:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home